Lapworth (where have the herons and kingfishers gone?)



As I mentioned yesterday we have been moored here at Lapworth for a month. We are at the junction of the North Stratford, South Stratford and Grand Union canals so any walk that takes in a canal will be on one or more of these.  I mention this because since we have been here we have seen kingfishers and herons on the North Stratford and Grand Union but not a single one on the South Stratford.

There is a young fisherman that I see most days when I walk down the South Stratford who does wildlife photography whilst waiting for a bite; he also has not seen either bird on this bit of canal.  I saw him again on Thursday down at Lowsonford and ironically, soon after I left him, a heron flew overhead.  Even though it was flying perpendicularly to the canal it was still technically on the South Stratford – it was probably flying to the Grand Union.

Having seen the heron I then came across my first flowering Lesser Celandine of the year.


Lesser Celandine by the overspill to lock 28


This plant belongs to the buttercup family and I hadn’t realised it is poisonous to livestock.  Anyway, to me, it is one of the harbingers of spring so the plants brought a smile to my face.

A bit further along I came across a hawthorn bush that was starting to leaf – again, another harbinger of spring.  It must have been in a particularly sheltered position as no other hawthorns had leaves on.

Leaves appearing on a hawthorn bush

As for the marquee in the field opposite us, there was more activity on Wednesday.  It now has curtains, tables and chairs inside.  With two days left until the weekend I think there’s still time to get it ready for a party or wedding.  Let’s see what Thursday brings.

No comments: